There will soon be seven billion people on the planet. By 2045 global population is projected to reach nine billion. Can the planet take the strain?
National Geographic magazine presents 7 Billion: How your world will change – to coincide with the arrival of the 7 billionth human being to our world. This app explores the challenges of a growing human population in a world of limited resources with informative videos, interactive maps, in-depth articles, and stunning photography.
Featured content includes….
- How big is 7 Billion? An insightful video of the demographic trends that got us here today and how it will impact us tomorrow.
- Birth of a New Brazil: How big families are out, to the credit of strong-willed women—and the steamy soaps that inspired them.
- The Face of Seven Billion Interactive: Tap on the “typical face” to find out who the most typical human is
- Rift in Paradise: As the global population increases Africa’s Albertine Rift gives us a glimpse of what is at stake in the decades ahead.
- Bangladesh: See how resourceful residents of this country refuse to give in to rising seas
- Food Ark: Explore how preserving heirlooms seeds and breeds are crucial if we hope to feed our hungry world.
And to be incorporated into the app in December 2011:
- Cities are the Solution: They may be the best way to lift people from poverty and preserve the environment.